Wednesday, April 11, 2012

We made it!

After a 9hr flight to London, a 8hr stay in the airport, and another 8hr flight, all I can say is "holy swollen ankles".  They seriously look like a bad case of elephantiasis, and, my straps from my shoes are like little tourniquets on my feet. Also, due to the humidity, I some what resemble Ronnald McDonnald today.  Now you should have a pretty good picture what I look like.  I will pass on describing to you what I smell like today.

As we pulled away from the airport in two different vehicles, the first thing we saw were a couple of camels on the side of the road.  It was kind of the "Toto, I don't think we are in Kansas anymore" feeling.
We drove through several towns on the way before eventually reaching Beatrice's Guest House in Mukono.  Her guest house is beautiful.  We all feel very safe and well taken care of here.

You wouldn't believe how many people are here.  I was just in shock as we drove through towns, and as you can imagine, there are not a lot of elderly here.  Most people get Malaria that live in Africa and it tends to take a toll on the body after several years of having it. I was told that the life expectancy of a Ugandan is 42 years old.  I will look for the AARP office tomorrow and see if I can't get any senior citizen discounts while I'm here.

Day 1 observations were; Ugandan's dress very nice.  Women all wearing dresses or skirts and men with suit pants and button up shirts. Nobody wears shorts.  They drive little motorcycles called Boda/Bodas and use them as we would a taxi.  It was not unusual to see a woman riding on the back of the bike, sitting side saddle, and holding on to her baby. aaaahhhhh When it rains here, which it does a lot, it doesn't mess around. Today I saw my first Ugandan thunder storm.  It was actually very cool.  It lasted about 30min and then it was done.  It is like the sky doing a great big sneeze.

Tomorrow....Our first school visit.

No comments:

Post a Comment