Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Ugandans have laws...they just don't always enforce them


I'm back!!! Due to power outages, internet problems, and just pure exhaustion I was not able to post for a couple of days.  A week into my trip, I have discovered a few things about Uganda. Like for example, there is a seat belt law, however, nobody wears one.  I have no idea if there are any laws around Boda Boda's (sm motorcycles), but I can't imagine that riding 4 or 5 deep is legal.  You just wouldn't believe some of the things we see on Boda Bodas.  However, not everybody can afford a taxi or Boda Boda.  The sides of the roads are packed with people all hours of the day.  It doesn't really matter what time they arrive, because everybody here is on Uganda time.  Also, Uganda is definitely not for the hearing impaired or impatient. Ugandans speak very quiet and very slow.  Literally, pull up a chair, it is going to be a while.

Every day we have been to at least one school or orphanage.  At one of the schools, I had a student tell me that his parents have to pay for transportation to and from school each day.  If they do not have the money than he has to walk.  It takes him 2 1/2 hours each way to walk.  The Head Teacher told us that when students walk the long distance to school, they are exhausted by the time they get there.  Then, it is important that they leave school early enough to walk home, so they are not walking in the dark. 

The orphanage visit was incredibly hard, but not for the reasons I thought it would be.  I imagined it was going to be the babies that broke my heart, but surprisingly it was the high school boys.  They were such sweet boys and they really took care of the younger kids at the orphanage.  I opened my bag of stuff to give them, and they just wanted something to fit.  I took one look at the shirts that "The Mountain" gave me, and thought there was no way they were going to be big enough.  They didn't care.  Three of the boys couldn't put the shirts on fast enough.  They told us it was okay that they were tight, because it showed off their muscles.  We left with a closing song and prayer. That was the beginning of the end for me.  Their voices so beautiful, so full of hope, with no knowledge that soon their orphanage, their home, may be closed due to funding.  It was tough stuff, and we still have two more next weekend.  We were going to do two in one day, but there has been a sudden change in plans.  The team has decided to go to Jinja (the source of the nile) on Friday for a big re-fuel before the weekend.  Then we will visit one on Saturday and one on Sunday.  I wonder if my uncontrollable tears had anything to do with the change to the itinerary?

The kids went running to greet Uncle Terry and Uncle Michael.  They remembered them from  the previous years.  This was one of the highlights of my trip so far.

Uncle Michael!!! 

103.7 The Mountain, donated these t-shirts for the kids in the orphanage.  These boys were thrilled with their new shirts.

Just so happy about his new undies

Each school has prepared a presentation to do for us when we arrive.

Little flirts at Mukono Town Muslim School

The corner by our guest house.  This picture shows both the Boda Bodas and Taxis.  The taxis are so stuffed full, I'm surprised they can even move.

Terry said it best, there is no shortage for bananas in Uganda

This was a booth from one of the schools showing how Sister Schools has helped them with their education.

One adorable village child

Too cute, but can't go to school because his parents can't afford the $30 a term.

The children were showing us how  they make books out of the supplies that Sister Schools gives them.

The kids make their own balls out for bags and string.  The other thing is a musical instrument. When played by somebody who knows what they are doing, it makes a beautiful sound.

This is a very typical store front in the town that we are staying in

It is so common to the the older kids helping out the littles
Today and Yesterday were still very rich, but much lighter days.  At Mukono Bording School we were the guests of honor at a collaborative event, put on by all of the schools who receive Sister Schools supplies. They had booths to show us how they are using the supplies.  The schools are incredibly grateful to Sister Schools and do an amazing job showing their gratitude.

4 comments:

  1. E! I can't imagine all the emotions that you are experiencing. I feel like it is hard to not be overwhelmed by just reading your blog and looking at your pictures. We are all so proud of you and we love you very much. Thank you for documenting everything. - The Vermeulen's

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much. I feel like I have just been trying to process it all, the entire trip. Just can't wait to see everyone when I get home! Love you guys.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love hearing your story, Elizabeth. You obviously are making a huge impact both home and in Uganda with your experience. I'm cheering you on from afar in case it helps in any small measure!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mary Ann, thank you so much for your comments. I feel so very far away, so every little bit goes a long way. Love you!

      Delete