Thursday, April 12, 2012

Everybody gets Porridge

My first day at the schools was overwhelmingly beautiful.  Well except for my rookie move of brushing my teeth with tap water.


Everybody at school gets Porridge, but not everybody gets to go to school.  This village child is peering into the classroom from the outside.

A P-1 Classroom

These children do not get to go to school, because this school requires that you buy your own uniform.   We played with them until they got shooed away from the schools principal. 

t
This little girl held on tight to her stuffed animal.

My co-volunteer Janet with the village kids.  I brought bubble gum.  Janet and I were trying to teach the kids how to blow a bubble.  What a hoot.

BALLOONS They are a hit with every child in every country. I wish I would have brought more.

The kids love seeing their picture.  I made quite a game of this later in the day.

They sang us in, they sang us out.  I cried both times.  Lutengo school will forever be imprinted on my heart.

No words can describe what it feels like to be greeted in such a beautiful way.

Sex education is clearly very important in Uganda.

Everybody gets porridge.


Lunch time
 Kids that can afford it get to eat things like Matoke, a type of mashed plantain, lucky them.
The kids all patiently waited for their cup of porridge

We went and introduced ourselves in each classroom.  This little girl is in P1

I was so excited to hold this little boy.  He started screaming when I picked him up.  Who is this white monster and why is she holding me.

One of the teachers at Kiswala school.  Fiona...Just loved her.

Kiswala had a great source for water.

Fiona kept putting little girls in my lap to take home with me.  These two 4 year olds killed me with cuteness.

Playing the picture game.  They absolutely loved it.

The girls sleeping quarters at one of the schools. Girls of all ages sleep 3 high on these bunks. Over 100 girls sleep in this area.  Can you imagine?

A wall built at Mukono school to keep kids from being stolen out of the school.  This was a Sister Schools  project that was mostly funded by Harbor Point Middle School.

No explanation needed



Resource Center built by Sister Schools.  My kids school Fernwood Elementary were part of this funding.

The Resource Center started out as a big container and then turned into a magical learning environment.

Today Terry said to me, the true test of weather you can handle this or not is if you can eat the lunch they feed us at every stop.  He was not kidding.  The Ugandans love to pile it on and lets just say, you don't go to Uganda for the food.  

3 comments:

  1. Love hearing about your experiences and seeing pieces of them through your photos! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Mary Ann. You made me feel like someone was actually reading this :) PS- Sean and I tend to be pretty bad at communication. Can you let him know I am in Africa. Please tell Greta hello from me. Love and miss you all.

      Delete
  2. Elizabeth,

    What an amazing experience!! Thank you for this blog and all the pics. It is really nice to be reminded once in a while as to how forunate we are. This, I am sure, will be a life changing experience. Enjoy!
    Diane

    ReplyDelete